5 Fun Activities for Seniors This Spring
Spring & Summer are great times to get out there and enjoy all your community has to offer. Get 5 fun Spring activities for seniors here!
You’ve probably noticed that the days are getting longer and warmer: Birds and other wildlife seem to be returning to your neighborhood and there is a freshness to the breeze. Spring is finally here!
It’s easy to get restless during the dark, cold months of winter, which makes Spring an ideal time to get started with one of the following activities:
- Walking Outdoors: Walking is the exercise of choice for many seniors. It is low-impact, doesn’t cost anything, and lets you get out into your community. Winter weather can hamper this activity, however, as seniors may be sensitive to cold or become afraid of tripping and falling on the ice. During this time, you may opt for walking on a treadmill at home or in the gym. Spring is here, though, which means that it is safer and easier to get outside for your walks. In addition to making your usual rounds, why not investigate new areas for walks such as nature preserves, parks, or unfamiliar neighborhoods? On days when it may be wet or rainy, you can still use your elliptical or, for variety, head out to a local shopping mall for your walk.
- Gardening: Even if it isn’t yet the right time to start planting, you can still get prepared for gardening by planning your garden, researching good planting times, and visiting local nurseries. It’s also wise to inspect your gardening equipment and get repairs or purchase replacements as needed.
- Water Aerobics: Water aerobics is an incredibly fun exercise for many people. Working out in the water provides resistance while also alleviating stress on your joints. It’s also just a lot of fun. In warmer areas, spring may mean the start of water aerobics in outdoor pools, though many gyms offer them year-round. If you are looking to ramp up your exercise routine to be in top shape this summer, check into this option.
- Spring Cleaning: This time-honored tradition helps you to reduce clutter, rediscover useful and valued possessions that were tucked away, and creates a clean house for you to enjoy during the summer months. Get together with neighbors and have a community garage sale to raise money for yourselves or a charity.
- Enjoy a Play or Concert: The days are longer and the nights aren’t so cold. So why not treat yourself to a play or concert some evening? If you or tend to go to bed early, check out a weekend matinee.
What are some of your favorite spring activities? Join with friends and family and get started on these activities this season. You can get more stories, activity ideas, and news by reading more of our blog!